Monday, November 24, 2014

 

First half hour after sleep can be a predictor of your entire day


Many years ago I read that the first 30 minutes after awakening are the most important.  That first half hour and what you do during that time will be a predictor of how your day will go.
I am reminded of this when I sleep through my alarm and have to rush around to get to the office or an appointment on time.  I inevitably spill my coffee or burn my toast, and vow to make better use of that first half hour in the future.
Every day I receive an email from DailyGood.org with uplifting messages and thoughts.  I try to read that email during that crucial first half hour because I want to start my day on a positive note.
Just in time for our Thanksgiving holiday was this appropriate message from Oxford clinical psychologist Mark Williams.  He suggests the “10-finger gratitude exercise,” in which once a day you list 10 things you’re grateful for and count them out on your fingers.
I tried this exercise for the past couple of days, and it’s surprisingly fast, simple, and satisfying.  “I live in peace, I have loved ones, I have my health, I enjoy my job” ….well, you get the point.
A quick search on the internet about the health benefits associated with an attitude of gratitude should be enough to convince anyone to practice being more thankful every day.
The “10-finger gratitude exercise” seems like a pretty good way to start.  I am grateful for the opportunity to wish a happy and healthy Thanksgiving to all!
Alice Facente is a community health nurse for the Backus Health System. This advice should not replace the advice of your personal health care provider. To comment on this column or others, visit the Healthy Living blog at www.healthydocs.blogspot.com or e-mail Ms. Facente or any of the Healthy Living columnists at healthyliving@wwbh.org


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?